Thursday, October 28, 2010

Halloween Nights 10 of 13: A Nightmare on Elm St. 3




Beauty conquers the beast this night when the lovely actress Christina Rose reviews the third installment of the Nightmare series, Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
by Christina Rose

So Halloween weekend is coming up, and I figured what better time then to watch a ‘Nightmare on Elm Street’ Marathon. I ended up watching four out of the series. In the end I ultimately decided to write my review on ‘Nightmare on Elm Street 3-Dream Warriors (1987)’. I didn’t choose this film because I think it’s the best out of the films that I watched (The best one in my opinon is the very first ‘Nightmare on Elm Street’ (1984). The reason I’m going to discuss the third film is because I loved certain parts of the film, and was so disappointed with others.


The film stars Heather Langenkamp, as Nancy, who returns to the third film after the second film bombed. I was happy with the fact that the producers brought her back as I enjoyed her performance in the very first ‘Nightmare on Elm Street’. Her character is quite a bit older in this film and instead of in high school she is now a professor at the Mental Institution in which the majority of this film takes place. The film opens with Kristen Parker played by Patricia Arquette being sent to the mental institution after it looks like she was about to commit suicide. That’s what’s so great about this movie!! Freddy attacks the children in their dreams, and makes their deaths look like suicides. The survivors get sent to the mental institution and continue to be haunted by Freddy in their sleep. What a brilliant way to start a horror film by having the film take place in a mental institution!


Some of my favorite Freddy deaths happen in this film. Totally disgusting and amazing at the same time is the death of Philip (Bradley Gregg). I loved the special effects of the ligaments getting pulled from every part of his body as Freddy uses him as a puppet to walk him all the way to an open window where it appears he jumps out the window to commit suicide.


There is great character development, and I thought each of the characters were interesting and unique. Some of my favorite performances were by Patricia Arquette, Heather Langenkamp, and of course Robert Englund as Freddy Kruger.


Once we get to the middle of the movie things start to get rough for me. In my opinion ‘Nightmare on Elm Street’ is supposed to be scary, and yet still have a cheese factor to it. However, this film got way too cheesy towards the middle. The characters all enter a ‘Dream’ together to try to fight Freddy as a team. While in the dream they notice they all have “special Powers”. One character can backflip, another has the power of a loud scream, another is strong enough to bend a chair, another becomes a wizard, while the last one becomes beautiful? Wow! This is where the movie loses me. I don’t need to see special powers especially if they are dumb, uninteresting, and won’t do anything to save them from Freddy. And yet, some of the special powers actually do catch Freddy offguard for a brief second. They are no match for him when he actually ends up killing quite a few of them (which I enjoyed). Once again, I believe that the ‘Nightmare on Elm Street’ films should involved lots of deaths and not kids with special powers. I will watch ‘KickAss’ to see a film like that. In the end Freddy finally kills Nancy, and the kids eventually kill ‘Freddy’. However, In true Freddy Kruger fashion Freddy of course…lives on. (for severeal more sequels plus a reboot) :)



Christina gives A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors





Christina Rose is a dedicated actress with her credits listed on IMDb.com. You can visit her site at Christina-Rose.com and follow her social networks on Facebook: and Twitter. To see her in Fearmakers' sub division Strange Stuff's Death of the Dead simply go to the Facebook fan page and click on the "Shop Now" tab.

No comments:

Post a Comment